We are still in the annual Open Enrollment Period
2023 Qualifying Life Events and SEP for Health Insurance (not Medicare)
The 2023 Open Enrollment Period for individual health insurance (not Medicare) will end on January 15, 2023. If you miss this deadline but will still need health coverage you will require a qualifying life event to use the ‘Special Enrollment Period (SEP) to be eligible.
- Are they eligible for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP)? – This is a period of time outside of open enrollment when an individual can sign up for health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. The individual must have an eligible Qualifying Life Event. An individual may qualify for a SEP of 60 days following certain qualifying life events.
- What is a Qualifying Life Event (QLE)? – It is an event that has altered or changed the individual’s life. Some examples of the most common QLE’s are moving to a new state, certain changes in income, changes in family size (getting married, divorced or having a baby), and loss of current health insurance coverage.
- How can they enroll or make changes? -Enrollments for individuals that qualify for a SEP, currently enrolled through the Health Insurance Marketplace or new applicant can be completed through the Direct Enrollment Tool, where they are directed to the Marketplace. The process is essentially the same as during open enrollment. If it is for an Off Marketplace plan, the process is the same as during open enrollment except that an event date will be required when quoting.
- When does coverage start? –The coverage start date will depend on the QLE. Some coverage could be effective the day of the event while some are effective the 1st of the following month. Once eligibility is determined, correct effective date can be assigned.
- What if they are not eligible? – If the individual is not eligible for a SEP, they will have to wait to enroll till the 2024 Open Enrollment Period.
FIND a Doctor in your Plan Network
<— To get quotes and compare carriers
<— To get quotes for On Healthcare Exchange Marketplace plans
If you are currently without health insurance coverage, you can still enroll in non-ACA compliant Short Term Medical plan.
<— To get quotes for Short Term Medical plans
**Other important information:
Having an agent representative for ANY insurance plan (health, medicare, life, property, auto, commercial,
etc) does NOT cost you, the consumer more money. Your insurance agent can be a vital ally to assist in
making sure you, your family, and your business has the coverage to ensure peace of mind. We also act
on your behalf to solve problems or issues with your policies when they arrive, which may often require
hours on the phone. With our insider knowledge, we can resolve issues to your benefit that insurance
carriers often will not do for you, the policyholder.